Smart watches have been on the market for a while now but an obvious contender has yet to enter the fray. I am, of course, referring to Apple and its Apple Watch. Earlier this week, Apple held a press conference which did not hold back on information regarding this highly anticipated piece of wearable tech. Here is a quick run-down on what we know so far about the Apple Watch.
- Release Date: April 24 (pre-orders begin April 10)
- Price Range: $349 – $17000 (yes you read that right)
- Pricing is based on materials (Aluminum alloy, Steel, 18K Gold) and size (38mm & 42mm)
- Hardware: S1 Processor, accelerometer for movement tracking
- Watch faces are fully customizable
- Apps specific to the watch are being created (eg. Instagram, Weather, Twitter etc.)
- Aside from telling time, the Apple watch is capable of playing music, tracking fitness, receiving calls, sending/receiving messages, making payments with Apple Pay, remotely control smart-home devices, and more.
- Can be controlled through voice activation
- Apps are represented as Glances which can be tapped to execute the proper app on the watch
- Interface by swiping/tapping the screen, and two side buttons, one of which twists to scroll
- Only connects to recent iPhones beginning at the iPhone 5
- Syncs with iPhone through Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
- 18 hours of battery life
- Apple Watches can communicate with each other in a number of ways.
- Charges with magnetic inductive charging
Is the Apple Watch right for you? That’s going to be something for you to figure out for yourself. If you are one of those people who has decided to never buy an iPhone, it is doubtful that you’ll make anywhere near the full use of this smart watch, since it only interfaces with iPhones. But for all you iPhone users and soon-to-be iPhone users out there, you should seriously consider it. It is intended to be a natural extension of the iPhone designed to make life easier and more streamlined for any iPhone user, just as the pocket watch evolved into the wrist watch.
(Visited 223 times, 1 visits today)